[va-richmond-general] Chimney Swift roost - Richmond

  • From: Arun Bose <arun1bose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 22:48:06 -0400

I went for a stroll along the floodwall at dusk (8/17). Immediately I
could see 100s of Chimney Swifts coming in to the Sampson Paint stack
off Hull/14th St. Maybe 1000 birds + or -. In the distance toward
Shockoe Bottom there were 1000s of Purple Martins preparing to roost.
I wasn't able to get down to the Farmers Market before they all came
into roost. Maybe one of the counters can report on the total. Even so
it was an awesome sight.

Arun Bose
Richmond