[va-richmond-general] Charles City Co. and Eastern Henrico Co. 5-21

  • From: Arun Bose <arunbose@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, VA Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 12:21:42 -0400

Hello Birders,
I birded east of Richmond this morning (6:30 am - 9:30am), mostly at Shirley
plantation in Charles City Co. with Allen Bryan. I had around 85 species
with the following highlights.

3 Least Tern - Seen well flying west over the impoundment at Shirley, also
heard calling. "Blue Book" notes them as a "rare transient farther inland"
for the Coastal Plain.

5 White-rumped Sandpiper. 1 of 9 species of shorebird (Semi-P Plover,
Killdeer, G Legs, L Legs, Spotted Sandpiper, Solitary Sand, Semi-P sand, and
Least Sand. (impoundment at Shirley)

Dickcissel - 3 or 5. At least 2 males and female. Possible a 3rd male and a
2nd female. (Shirley)

3 female Bobolink. (Shirley)

13 species of warbler if you include Y-B Chat; also Wilson's Warbler - 1
male (Shirley), Yellow, Chestnut-Sided (1 male Carter's Mill Rd. Henrico
co.), Blackpoll, Yellow-throated, Northern Parula, Ovenbird, Kentucky (1
male Carter's Mill Rd. Henrico co.), Common Yellowthroat, Hooded Warbler,
American Redstart, and Prothonotary.

Ring-necked Duck - 1 male (Shirley)

Blue-winged Teal - 1 male (Shirley)

American Coot 8-12 (Shirley)