[va-richmond-general] Cedar Waxwings, Northern Flicker

  • From: Suleka Deevi <sdeevi22@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 21:58:29 -0400

Hi everyone,

I saw a flock of around 20 cedar waxwings today, just sitting on a
tree in my front yard. They stayed for 15 minutes, flying from tree to
tree then left the area. Does anyone know if this is normal? I didn't
see them at my feeders but maybe they were there earlier.

A male northern flicker was foraging in the mulch beneath a tree for
20 minutes, it has been rainy all day so I'm sure he found a lot to
eat.

Today was my first time seeing both cedar waxwings and northern
flickers, so a good day :)

A flock of ~20 brown-headed cowbirds descended on my feeders and
scared away my chickadees, titmouses, sparrows, house finches and
juncos. Any idea how to prevent this? Same thing happens with grackles
and starlings.

A red-tailed hawk was in the backyard on a tree near a flock of ~50
starlings. This is the third time I've seen him in the past 2 months.

Also saw 1 male red-bellied woodpecker, northern cardinals (males and
female), mourning doves, 1 blue jay, 1 northern mockingbird,
white-throated sparrows, tree sparrows, and 1 goldfinch. Also heard a
great horned owl last night, my first. He wasn't close by but I could
hear him pretty well.

Happy Birding!
Suleka