[va-richmond-general] Camp Hilbert birds and other wildlife

  • From: "Michael Shapiro" <sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richmond listserv" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:57:33 -0400

    We've had a good first week at the camp, which is in Goochland County in
Maidens, and the kids and I have heard the following birds singing:

American Robin
Eastern Bluebird
Wood Thrush
Eastern Phoebe (also saw a nest with at least three babies in it)
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Acadian Flycatcher
Ovenbird
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
American Goldfinches
Scarlet Tanager
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Killdeer

We actually saw the mother (or father) Phoebe, a couple of Blue Jays, and a
Killdeer. The water level at our lake at camp is down about two feet, so there
are some exposed mudflats that aren't usually visible, which is where we saw
the Killdeer.

We've also heard Cricket Frogs in the lake, seen various dragonfly species, a
couple of butterfly species (Eastern Tailed Blue, Great Spangled Fritillary
(?spelling?), and Eastern Tiger Swallowtail) as well as  reports of snakes
around camp. I, personally, saw an immature Black Rat Snake in the bathhouse.
It was about 2 feet long and the markings on its back were still visible, as
well as on its underside. I tried to catch it with a bag so that I could
release it into the woods - no luck. Our nature counselor found a nest of snake
eggs while digging for a garden, which she did relocate into the woods. Does
anyone know if all snake eggs look the same?

Michael Shapiro
Henrico
sc.tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx