[va-richmond-general] Byrd Park Ducks

  • From: Robert Beard <rbeard22205@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:55:48 -0500

If you have not had the chance to check out the ducks at Byrd Park, it may be
the time now. Today, there were scads of Ring-necked Ducks, Pied-billed Grebes,
and American Coots.  A smattering of other ducks were there, including
Mallards, Gadwall, Widgeon, Ruddy Ducks, one Canvasback, and Green-winged Teal.
 Most of these ducks are close enough for binocular view, but great for scopes.
 You can see the purple-brown ring around the Ring-necked Ducks!

There is also a very late (or maybe Wintering?) Baltimore Oriole in the nearby
low trees.  And you get to see the weird hybrid geese from the large stock of
domestic Graylags that range from pure white to some odd combos.  Below is a a
list from eBird that I sent in.  Good Birding!  Bob in Richmond.

Swan Lake/Shields Lake, Richmond City, US-VA
Nov 21, 2014 1:15 PM - 3:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Cold and windy temps, low 40s.  Did a survey of the waterfowl at
Swan Lake and environs.  An immature Baltifmore Oriole was seen in the low
trees between Swan Lake and Lakeview Dr.  Lots of Coots, Ring-necked Ducks and
Pied-billed Grebes.
37 species

Canada Goose  100
Gadwall  4
American Wigeon  4
Mallard  35
Northern Shoveler  1
Green-winged Teal  6
Canvasback  1
Ring-necked Duck  105
Ruddy Duck  12
Pied-billed Grebe  85     Grebes were abundant in the low SAV all over Swan
Lake.  This number may be a low count as I tried not duplicate and avoid
counting the other waterfowl as the lake was nicely populated.
Double-crested Cormorant  10
Black Vulture  3
Turkey Vulture  4
Red-tailed Hawk  2
American Coot  105
Killdeer  5     These birds were hanging about the sides of the lake, calling
and being noisy from time to time.
Ring-billed Gull  8
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)  20
Mourning Dove  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  5
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3
Northern Flicker  2
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  10
Carolina Chickadee  1
Tufted Titmouse  4
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Golden-crowned Kinglet  2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  4
Eastern Bluebird  1
American Robin  2
Northern Mockingbird  2
European Starling  12
Yellow-rumped Warbler  2
Dark-eyed Junco  3
Baltimore Oriole  1     This bird was an immature, with orange-yellow throat
and breast, white in the belly and striking white and black wing bars.  Stayed
low in the low trees, apparenty eating bugs or fruit.  I think I saw this same
bird about a week ago, so it may be a bird that can be refound.  It was in the
low trees between the White House (on Lakeview) and the drink at Swan Lake.

View this checklist online at