[va-richmond-general] Bufflehead information request

  • From: Lesley P Bulluck/FS/VCU <lpbulluck@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Birders <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:19:10 -0400

Hello Richmond birders,

I am an ornithology professor at VCU and have two ornithology
undergraduates who conducted a study on bufflehead foraging behavior at
the Huguenot bridge last spring (Feb - March) and found some interesting
preliminary results.  They would like to continue their study this year
and (1) start earlier and (2) possibly expand to looking at more than one
site.  They will need to reliably observe the birds foraging ~2 days a
week.

My questions for you all are
(1) When do bufflehead typically return to the area?  I did a search on
the archive and found a few posts with BUFF sightings in November, but I
wonder if they arrive even sooner.
(2) What other areas besides the Huguenot bridge reliably have bufflehead
all winter?  I have seen them on the west end of Belle Isle, but I do not
visit there regularly enough to know if they are always there.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Lesley

Lesley Bulluck
Department of Biology