[va-richmond-general] Briery Creek Lake

  • From: Al Warfield <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Audubon Listserve <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:29:40 -0400

On Thursday, 10/10, Linda & I drove to Briery Creek Lake and looked for the
Great White Heron (or Great Blue Heron, White morph as Sibley calls it). We
arrived at the first parking lot (around 9 AM) as described by Wendy Ealding
earlier. The bird was nowhere in sight. We did see a pair of Belted Kingfishers.

Then we drove the 1/4 mile to the main launch area at the North end of the
lake, where there is a pier and gazebo. We looked around there but again the
bird was not visible. Then suddenly it appeared on the rail near the gazebo.It
had been feeding below our line of sight. It perched there nicely as if it
wanted us to take it's picture, so we went back to the car to get the cameras.
When we reappeared, the bird flew to an island about 1/8 mile across the lake
from the gazebo. That's where it stayed for the next 2 hours at least.
According to another birder there, that is where it usually stays - feeding on
a grassy flat.

We did see a Great Blue Heron, a few Eastern Bluebirds, an Eastern Phoebe,
American Crows, two Red-shouldered hawks, Northern Mockingbirds, and heard what
was probably Golden-crowned Kinglets.

I don't know how long the Great White will stay, so better go soon!

Al Warfield

http://www.freelists.org/list/va-richmond-general.