[va-richmond-general] Re: Blue-winged and blackburnian @ The Wetlands, 9am-10:30am

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jjfdc1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:56:36 -0400

Jan

Welcome to the listserve!

Al Warfield
----- Original Message -----
From: Janice j. Frye, D.C.
To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 5:42 PM
Subject: [va-richmond-general] Blue-winged and blackburnian @ The Wetlands,
9am-10:30am

My first posting.  Hope it gets to you OK, because I found myself with a very
nice wave of warblers @ The Wetlands (JRPS) today.  Highlights were the
warblers noted already.  They were near the pond on the trail that goes
straight to the river from Landria Drive.  Apparently listening to the tapes
and CDs does eventually start to payoff!!  The blackburnian male sounded more
like the second individual on More Birding by Ear.  Did not get a look at the
entire   blue-winged, but the front was yellow as far down as I could see and
the black eye mark was visible.  I was on my way to look for a barred owl that
was hooting between the pond and the golf course when the military helicopters
started their low flyovers.  Sorry I'm posting so late.  I've been lurking in
the archives for years and am not good at figuring out new things on the
computer.  Visited Three Lakes late in the afternoon yesterday.  No bird
activity worth reporting and the nature center was closed, but it looks like
they have recovered nicely from Gaston.  Riverfront property is now so hard to
come by that ospreys are now building on the cell tower at West End Assembly of
God's parking lot 2 red lights north of the Willey Bridge.

Full list:

GBH (flyovers only)

Red-shouldered hawk

Barred owl (hooting at a distance)

Red-bellied WP

Pileated WP

Downy WP

Blue jay

Carolina chickadee

Tufted titmouse

Carolina wren

Am. Robin

Hermit thrush

Bl. Gr. Gnatcatcher

White-eyed vireo

Red-eyed vireo

B&W warbler

Prothonotary w. (heard)

Worm-eating w. (heard)

Blue-winged w.

Yellow-rumped w.

Blackburnian w.

Yellow-throated w.

Pine w.

Common yellowthroat

Am. Redstart (male)

Brown-headed cowbird

N. cardinal

Indigo bunting (male)

Am goldfinch

E. towhee (female)

White-throated sparrow

No activity at the presumed Cooper's hawk nest.  Watched them working on it
earlier this year, but it was odd because on one visit there were 3 birds
visible at once.

Have missed seeing you all.  Too much paperwork and lots going on with the
kids.  Apparently I also missed most of the owls' nesting activities this time
around.  Does anyone have any favorite ways to deal with "allergy eyes" out on
the trails?  Sweet misery..

Jan Johnson