[va-richmond-general] Re: Black-headed Gulls, Little Creek Beach now.

  • From: Ellison Orcutt <mr.ellyo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:52:17 -0500

Hello birders,

A late follow up on the Black-headed Gulls yesterday at Little Creek Inlet
in Norfolk.  Three birds were present in a small mixed flock with
Bonaparte's and Ring-billed Gulls.  Two birds stuck fairly close together
and the third bird tended towards the edge of the flock.  I heard from a
couple people who managed to see them later in the afternoon at that
location.  The birds were using the "flats" that were uncovered by low
tide.  I imagine that a low tide in the middle of the day or the evening is
the best chance to find them roosting there.

In the photostream below are a few pictures of the group.  Only briefly did
the third bird enter the same frame as the other two birds and it was
already asleep before I managed a picture:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellison_orcutt/

Also, at Pleasure House Point an American Bittern and a Snow Egret provided
great looks from close range.  On Island one of the CBBT there were 7
species of ducks (and no rare gulls).

Good birds and snow men,

Ellison

--