[va-richmond-general] Re: Birding in Nags Head

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:23:47 -0400

I went to Pea Island for a hike as part of Wings over Water 2003. I saw many
unusual birds there such as night (or green?) herons, a cross between a wood
duck and a mallard, and snow geese. I also saw hordes of mosquitoes -
fortunately it was cool and we were dressed in long sleeves and pants. I
found the island to be remote appearing and devoid of modern things such as
houses, developments, street lights, and so forth. It was a trip well worth
taking.

The island was formerly indeed an island, as there was an inlet through it.
One had to cross to Rodanthe on a bridge. The bridge is still visible,
rotting away. The inlet has filled.

Jim Blowers

  _____