[va-richmond-general] Birdathon 2010

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:56:07 -0400

As I hope you have heard, Birdathon 2010, one of Richmond Audubon's primary fund raisers for this year is in full swing. We have two teams currently registered: perennial powerhouse, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Ducklings (boasting no fewer than three former RAS Presidents among their membership), and brash upstarts The Crazy Coots, led by yours truly. (Don't anyone tell 'em I said so, but the Ducklings are going down this year... What's a Birdathon without a little trash-talking?)

The birding is still ahead of us, and we're going to have a great time doing that during some as-yet-to-be-established 24 hour period in May, but the whole point of this is to refill the coffers in support of Richmond Audubon's conservation and education mission. There are any number of ways you can help.

1. Form a team! We need competition!

2. Help one of the existing teams fundraise! Even if you don't want to get out and bird with some friends, you can drum up support for one of the established teams. You can download a pledge form from the web site (link below). Importune your neighbors and co-workers to chip in for your favorite local organization.

3. Make a pledge! I'd suggest you support my team, THE CRAZY COOTS, but I'll only grumble a little if you go with another team. You can pledge by mail (a form with all the instructions is available on the web site, link below) or by email to birdathon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx If you pledge by email, be sure to include the following information:

Your name
Your mailing address
The team you want to support
The amount of your pledge - either a dollar amount or an amount per species seen by your chosen team

If you just want to cut to the chase, we appreciate that, too - ink your check to Richmond Audubon Society, write "Birdathon" in the memo, and send it to:

Richmond Audubon Society
Attn: Bird-a-thon Coordinator
PO Box 26648
Richmond, VA 23261

Here's the link for pledge forms and more information:

http://www.richmondaudubon.org/BirdAThonhon.html

Thanks for reading, and thanks for supporting Richmond Audubon Society!

--
Lewis Barnett -- President, Richmond Audubon Society