[va-richmond-general] Re: Bird banding demo Dutch Gap-Chesterfield Parks and Rec. 13 Oct 2012

  • From: Nick Kotula <nkotula@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 21:53:46 -0400

All,

I may have missed the two stars of the morning, but I did catch some of the
supporting actors.  Linked is my blog (Photographing RVA) entry with some
pics of the conference of Cardinals, a Brown Thrasher, and a Carolina Wren.
 Thanks for having us out, I really enjoyed it.

http://photorva.com/band-of-birders-a-trip-to-dutch-gap/

Nick Kotula

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM, <juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Beautiful day yesterday at Dutch Gap. Opened the nets just before sunrise
> with Canada Geese overhead in formation, honking away.  Two enthusiastic
> van loads of observers, led by Naturalist Mark Battista enjoyed some
> up-close looks and education of some of their favorite back yard birds.
> Sounds of winter birds were heard throughout the Conservation area.
> White-throated sparrows, Yellow-bellied sapsucker, Red-breasted Nuthatch,
> Brown Creeper and both Kinglet sp. were sounding off.
>

> Cardinals seemed to be the bird of the day for our participants. They were
> able to see and compare male and female Cardinals as well as molt patterns
> in the birds. Also netted Brown Thrashers and Carolina Wrens. As luck would
> have it, our "best" birds came in the nets after the vans pulled away....a
> striking Northern Flicker and a Golden-crowned Kinglet. The largest and
> smallest birds of the day in the same net. Spectacular.
>

> Hard to beat October...we could use two of them.
>
> Thanks to the dedicated MAPS' team for another great season,
>
> Julie Kacmarcik
>
> Chester

JPEG image

JPEG image