[va-richmond-general] Bethel Beach, Mathews Co, Tue April 21st

  • From: "Rachel Echols" <rlechols@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 22:05:57 -0400

I visited Bethel Beach in Mathews Co today.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to
arrive until 11am.  I stayed until 2:30pm.  I noticed a few woodland species
on the drive in and out, but most of my observations were on the beach and
sandbar.  Highlights were a calling RAIL, which I believe is a KING RAIL
from listening to a recording.  I did not spot the bird.  Other highlights
were 2 AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHERS. I'm sure I probably missed some species, but
here's the list of what I got:

Forster's Tern

Royal Tern

Osprey (3 pairs)