[va-richmond-general] Berkeley Plantation, 4/14/07

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:05:19 -0400

In spite of a heavy overcast and occasional drizzle, we had a nice, active visit to Berkeley Plantation on Saturday. The trip was a joint venture between the Maymont Nature Center and Richmond Audubon Society, led by Darrell Peterson. Most of us were treated to a gorgeous sunrise as we traveled southeast from Richmond, but that was the last we saw of the sun. The birds, however, didn't seem to mind the cloudy day and a touch of rain here and there. Right off the bat, we were treated to an adult Bald Eagle enjoying sushi for breakfast and a beautiful, cooperative singing Yellow-throated Warbler. Some of our winter regulars like White-throated Sparrows, Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-rumped Warblers mixed with early spring migrants such as Common Yellowthroat, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Tree Swallow and Barn Swallow. We also had nice looks at singing Eastern Meadowlarks. The walk wound down around 10:00am, just as the rain began in earnest. My complete list of species appears below.

--
Lewis Barnett -- Chair, Dept. of Math & CS, U. of Richmond, VA 23173
              -- lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx | lbarnett@xxxxxxx

Number of species:     44

Canada Goose     10
Wood Duck     2