[va-richmond-general] Belle Isle birding, Sunday 9/19

  • From: "IE Ries" <FEATHERCHASER@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "RAS" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:11:48 -0400

  It was a GORGEOUS day, and since there was little more rain last week, the
James River kindly stayed within its banks.  The weather was wonderful and so
were the birds...for those of you who bagged this trip, you missed some great
sightings!  This is the very visit I've made to the island when I've not seen
even one wading bird, incidentally.
  Here's the list:

  Belted Kingfisher
  Double-crested Cormorant
  Herring Gull
  Osprey
  Bald Eagle
  Turkey Vulture
  Canada Goose
  DUCK: American Black, Mallard (pairs)
  WOODPECKER: Downy, Hairy, Red-bellied
  Northern Flicker
  Great-crested Flycatcher
  VIREO: Red-eyed, Warbling, White-eyed, Yellow-throated
  American Crow
  Blue Jay
  Tree Swallow
  Carolina Chickadee
  Tufted Titmouse
  WREN:  Carolina, House
  American Robin
  MIMIDS:  Brown Thrasher, Grey Catbird, Northern Mockingbird
  DOVE: Mourning, Rock
  European Starling
  Common Grackle
  Northern Cardinal
  Scarlet Tanager (f)
  Red-winged Blackbird
  American Goldfinch (f, m)
  WARBLER: Black and White Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow

  Key:

  f = female
  j = juvenile
  m = male