[va-richmond-general] Bandy and UR this morning

  • From: Lewis Barnett <blbarnett3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 10:13:33 -0400

I checked out Bandy field this morning before work. Blackpoll and Redstart were
the only warblers, and House Wren was the most numerous singer. Also had
Brown-headed Nuthatch, which is pretty common there. The mulberries are
starting to ripen, so the action around the big mulberry tree in the middle of
the field there should heat up.

On my walk back into campus, I was delighted to find a singing Swainson's
Thrush in the big holly by Ryland Circle, right next to Ryland Hall. This was a
new campus species for me.

On the Thrush front, I walked most of the Larus Park trails yesterday morning.
The best birds there were a couple of singing Gray-cheeked Thrushes in the area
near the Beechmont and Old Holly Road entrance to the park.

Still some good birds around - see you out there.

Lewis Barnett