[va-richmond-general] Re: Baltimore Oriole

  • From: "James Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Richmond Birds'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 21:41:02 -0400

Baltimore Orioles are rare around here - I haven't seen any. I think we are
a little too south. So it is interesting that you found one in this area. We
get different icterids instead - lots of grackles, 30 or 40 at a time, mixed
with starlings and cowbirds, and rarely, red-winged blackbirds, although I
have not seen any lately.

I think if ever the Richmond baseball club ever becomes an affiliate of the
Baltimore Orioles, the team should be called the Richmond Grackles. (The
Orioles did have the Rochester Red Wings as their AAA farm for 42 years,
until Rochester kicked them out.)

Jim Blowers