[va-richmond-general] Re: Backyard feeding in general

  • From: CVerdery@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 16:34:19 EST

After years of squirrels I installed a 1 inch tubular  metal post (Wild Bird
Center) with 4 arms at the top for hanging  feeders.  On the post is a metal
squirrel guard ( H Depot, Lowes. Wild  Bird-- about $12.00) which looks like a
piece of stovepipe about 8" in diameter  and about 18" tall.  A 24" model is
also available which deters  raccoons as well.  As long as the feeder is 8 feet
from a tree so  squirrels can't jump to it, it's squirrelproof.  No squirrels
on my  feeders in 4 years although there are many on the  ground.    I also
use these guards on my bluebird and martin  house poles.  No more raccoon
vandalism.