[va-richmond-general] Backyard feeding in general

  • From: "katya" <katya@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:15:58 -0500

I can't get Woodpeckers or don't know how.  I put out a suet feeder for about
two days.  The squirrels went nuts and wouldn't let any other animals near it.
They were hopping through pots of pansies breaking their stems.  When I took
the suet feeder down, Hell really broke lose.  Windchimes were flung around.
It was getting pretty savage.  I had done them wrong and now, I am afraid of
further damage.  I have no hanging feeders.  The metal one I used last year, I
padlocked to a metal plant post.  The squirrels got to it just fine (by
trampling pansies to death), but at least they didn't knock it down and fling
it in the alley.  I'd love sugestions.  Please, don't recommend anything
expensive.  I had heard of hanging a suet-feeder horizontally.  Has anyone
tried that?

In order to learn birdsongs, I have been using "Songs of some New York State
birds" on-line.  Could anyone recommend another website?  I have the cd
"birding by Ear."

Thanks for any suggestions,

Katie Holzback
South of the James