[va-richmond-general] Back Yard Bird Antics

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:24:38 -0500

Some interesting things happened in our back yard feeder area today.

A mockingbird showed up and waddled on the ground looking for seed. He went
up to a mourning dove and pecked at it, causing the dove to fluff up its
wings. The dove then wandered back about 6-10 feet.

I was indoors looking out a large bay window into our back yard. A
ruby-crowned kinglet flew straight at my face. When he got about 1 foot from
the window he paused in mid-air and flew back. It went this close before it
realized there was a window in the way.

Two yellow-rumped warblers started chasing each other in the air several
times. This is the first time I have seen two such warblers. Do they have
some kknd o f conflict, or are they starting a mating ritual? After
chickadees (2006), titmice (2007), and nuthatches (2008), it would be
something if my bird house was the home this year in 2009 to a nest of
yellow-rumped warblers. So far I have seen no bird go into or out of the
bird house ever since about a month ago when I saw a bluebird try it and fly
away.

Jim Blowers