[va-richmond-general] BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER in Powhatan County, 5/12/08

  • From: WEalding <wealding@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 10:15:46 -0400

Despite the cold, blustery weather, I managed to find a female BLACKBURNIAN
WARBLER along with a male AMERICAN REDSTART, a male BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER and
a RED-EYED VIREO all in a single tree in a neighborhood yard this morning.
Just up the street, I spooked a pair of Eastern Bluebirds that are nesting in a
newspaper box - I could hear the babies cheeping from the nest.

Observation date:     5/12/08
Notes:     cold and windy
Number of species:     28

Mallard     1
Turkey Vulture     1
Red-tailed Hawk     1
Spotted Sandpiper     3
Chimney Swift     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     X
Eastern Phoebe     1
Red-eyed Vireo     1
Blue Jay     2
American Crow     3
Bank Swallow     3
Barn Swallow     1
Carolina Chickadee     X
Tufted Titmouse     1
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Carolina Wren     X
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     X
Eastern Bluebird     5     plus an unknown number of babies calling from a nest
in a newspaper box
Northern Mockingbird     1
Blackburnian Warbler     1
Black-and-white Warbler     1