[va-richmond-general] Re: BLACK VULTURE DEMONSTRATION DATE SET AT DUTCH GAP

  • From: IE Ries <feathermom_chirpling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:54:26 -0700 (PDT)

Click the following link for a listing of VA Dominion Power officials:

  http://www.dom.com/about/media_rel.jsp

  The person you want to contact is:

  Dan Genest, environment
804-771-6115, Dan.Genest@xxxxxxx

  C'mon folks, let him know you've got a beef with this...!

  Irene-Eva Ries

Dawn Wilson <dmwcarrot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Public Demonstration Against Dutch Gap Black Vulture Culling, 2007

  When: Monday, 10/29/07, 11:00AM  Where: Dutch Gap (Henricus Park) in
Chesterfield County, VA
  We will meet at the boat ramp at Dutch Gap (Henricus Park).  Depending on
media, USDA, USFWS, and Dominion turnout, we will either stay there or move to
another, more visible area where we can have a greater impact.  Please come if
you can!

  Primary message:  Killing of black vultures at Dutch Gap as an effort to
control the population there has not worked.  This clearly demonstrates that
this management application is ineffective and should not be used again.

  Purpose:

  1)      To prevent (or halt, if they begin to shoot the birds before or on
Friday) this year?s ?harvesting? of 400-700 black vultures at Dutch Gap.

  2)      To educate the general public about the current plight of Dutch Gap?s
black vulture population.  Media (TV and Richmond Times-Dispatch) have been
alerted.  I will keep you updated as confirmations come through.  We have one
so far.
  3)      To voice our concerns to local and federal legislators, Federal
agencies (USDA, USFWS), and Chesterfield County management.
  4)      It is not known why the USDA and USFWS keep renewing the permit for
so many black vultures to be shot every year when it is obviously not working
to curb the number of birds roosting at Dutch Gap.
  5)      To date, no research been thoroughly conducted on this black vulture
population.  If it does exist, the public has not been made aware of any such
research.
  a)      We do not know what ecological problems have resulted from taking
nearly 1,500 black vultures from the area.
  b)     We do not know what culling another 400-700 this year will do.
  c)      We do not know where these birds coming/migrating from and
consequences on neighboring and regional populations have not been assessed.
  6)      Appropriate non-lethal methods have not been implemented.  Previous
efforts  (effigies, firecrackers, etc.) have merely scattered the birds within
the site, not AWAY from the site.  Other, better solutions that have not been
attempted:
  a)      Moving the boat ramp.
  b)     Moving the birds elsewhere in hopes of establishing a viable roosting
population at another site.
  c)      Dispersing the birds? night roosts in order to stop them from using
Dutch Gap during the day.

http://mail.yahoo.com

"Hope is the thing with feathers
  That perches in the soul