[va-richmond-general] August birding-wee...

  • From: juliekazz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Richmond Birds)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 00:47:22 +0000

Birding has been slow at best in Chester during these dog days of August.
However in the backyard  tonight I counted 17 Cardinals in all sorts of
plumages. 2 Towhees were scratching under the bird bath as well as 3-5 Brown
Thrashers. Pine warblers were trilling in the tree-tops.  Ruby-throated
hummingbirds are aggressively draining the feeders and the garden has had a
good variety of butterflies including a Monarch chrysalis I am keeping a
photographer's vigil on.

On a sad note a Juvenile Grey Catbird hit the window today and used up all 9
lives in one fail swoop.

Most of the birds are looking pretty rough-still keeping them fed and watered
and looking forward to another round of migration.

Julie K.
Chester