[va-richmond-general] Ashland Trolley Line and our property

  • From: "bob cole" <plmhp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bird listserve'" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:30:17 -0400

The weather has restricted the amount of time we've had in the woods to
scout for migrants but in the last few dry days we've seen /heard the
following 43 species + all the usual suspects:

Black vultures

Turkey vultures - one pair nesting on our property

Red-shouldered hawks

Great blue heron

Sharp-shinned hawk

Red-tailed hawk - heard

Ospreys - 1 pair

American Kestrel

Wood Ducks - many and 1 duckling

Mallards

Canada Geese

Mourning Doves

Barred owl - heard

Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Red-headed Woodpeckers

Red-bellied  Woodpeckers

Downy Woodpeckers

Northern Flickers

Pileated Woodpeckers - 1 pair

Phoebe

Great-crested Flycatcher

Purple Martin

Tree Swallows - likely nesting

Fish Crow

House Wren - heard

Ruby-crowned Kinglets

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - and nests

Eastern Bluebird

Hermit Thrush

Gray Catbird

Cedar Waxwings

Blue-headed Vireo

White-eyed Vireos

Red-eyed Vireos

Yellow-throated Vireo

Northern Parula

Yellow Warbler - heard

Palm Warblers

Prothonotary

Common Yellowthroats

Louisiana Waterthrush - heard

Eastern Meadowlark

Swamp Sparrows

If you come on the walk be sure to wear boots. The beavers have really been
busy along the creek and it's pretty wet and mucky

Bob and Linda Cole

Ashland, va 23005