[va-richmond-general] Around Richmond, 1/2/10 (they were all year birds!)

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 16:20:22 -0500

I made a tour of James River Park locations and ended up down at Dutch Gap today. It was a little brisk, with a pretty steady breeze, but sunny and beautiful. I found most of the expected birds, and one or two surprises.

I started the morning with five Hooded Mergansers in the pond behind the (original) Stony Point Office Park. There were Buffleheads, Ring-necked Ducks, and a couple of Pied-billed Grebes at Huguenot Flatwater. There was one Great Blue Heron in Rattlesnake Creek. Pony Pasture was pretty quiet. I was surprised to hear and then finally see a Brown-headed Nuthatch at the entrance to the Wetlands area on Landria Drive. I had thought for a long time that the Wetlands had some habitat that Brown-headed Nuthatches would like, but this is the first time I have seen one there. I also found a Barred Owl down near the river. The second surprise was a pair of Common Ravens down in the railroad yard behind the Floodwall Walk. There was a good variety of ducks in the marsh at Dutch Gap - Shovelers, Gadwall, Ring-necked Ducks, and American Wigeon were there in good numbers. There were three Northern Pintails and one Black Duck, along with a good number of Mallards and Canada Geese. There was one adult Bald Eagle perched on one of the old heron nests.

All told, I found 51 species today. Complete lists for each location are given below.

Lewis Barnett

Location:     James River Pk - Huguenot Flatwater
Observation date:     1/2/10
Number of species:     28

Canada Goose     41
Mallard     6
Ring-necked Duck     23
Bufflehead     52
Pied-billed Grebe     2
Double-crested Cormorant     1
Great Blue Heron     1
Ring-billed Gull     1
Belted Kingfisher     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     2
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     1
Downy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     1
Blue Jay     1
American Crow     5
Carolina Chickadee     4
Tufted Titmouse     1
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Carolina Wren     5
Golden-crowned Kinglet     1
Eastern Bluebird     11
American Robin     2
European Starling     28
Yellow-rumped Warbler     6
Eastern Towhee     1
Northern Cardinal     3
Common Grackle     1
American Goldfinch     4

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org/VA)

Location:     James River Park - Pony Pasture Section
Observation date:     1/2/10
Number of species:     7

Mallard     3
Bufflehead     21
Ring-billed Gull     1
American Crow     2
Carolina Chickadee     1
Carolina Wren     1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     1

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org/VA)

Location:     James River Park--The Wetlands
Observation date:     1/2/10
Number of species:     21

Bufflehead     2
Barred Owl     1
Red-bellied Woodpecker     3
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     1
Downy Woodpecker     3
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     3
Carolina Chickadee     13
Tufted Titmouse     3
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Brown-headed Nuthatch     1
Brown Creeper     1
Carolina Wren     3
Golden-crowned Kinglet     1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet     3
Eastern Bluebird     1
Field Sparrow     2
Song Sparrow     3
White-throated Sparrow     2
Northern Cardinal     3
House Finch     4

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org/VA)

Location:     Henricus - Dutch Gap Conservation Area
Observation date:     1/2/10
Number of species:     15

Canada Goose     68
Gadwall     40