[va-richmond-general] Another "Fiver"

  • From: IE Ries <feathermom_chirpling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:53:14 -0700 (PDT)

I loved reading George's Finch update, and would like to add one of my own:

  A Carolina Wren staked out our greenhouse and decided that she liked the real
estate.  We had opened the doors on the occassional warm days, and we figure
that's when she made her move. The interesting thing is...we of course keep the
doors closed as it's still too cold yet, but she didn't let that stop her; she
excavated a little exit/entrance hole between the fram of the greenhouse and
the mulch floor!  Clever little thing!

  Anyway, we accidently picked up the potted plant the weekend before last to
bring it out for some care and pruning and made the discovery that it was
officially occupied with a nest of three eggs.  We hurridly put that plant back
into the greenhouse and I fussed with it for an hour trying remember which way
the nest entrance was facing so as to make it appear there was no human
interference while Mother was away.  I must've done a pretty decent job:  2
more eggs appeared after that and we're now waiting with baited breath to see
our newest members of the yard community!

  Happy Bird Watching,

  IE Ries

"Hope is the thing with feathers
  That perches in the soul