[va-richmond-general] Re: An adaptation of John Coe's recipe?

  • From: Ann Brooks <acdbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:17:08 -0400

Jim:

You can use capsicum powder, but be mighty careful. The stuff I tried floated around on me and was not a lot of fun. Also, the squirrels didn't seem to mind it all that much.

ANN BROOKS
On Jun 29, 2005, at 11:08 AM, Jim Blowers wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>I found John Coe's suet recipe on the web. Maybe it's better to make the stuff at home than to go to the store to get it, particularly if the store is over 10 miles away.</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>I am wondering how to get hot pepper in the suet. I am afraid that if I make John Coe's recipe, then squirrels will eat it all up. Wild Birds Unlimited told us that the squirrels will not eat hot pepper suet or plain suet, but the birds go for it like it was crazy or something. We tried both kinds. Squirrels gobble up the plain suet. However, they will not eat hot pepper suet but the birds will. However, this suet is about 20 miles from us on Midlothian Turnpike. No local place sells hot pepper suet; all they sell is what I call squirrel suet.</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>So I am wondering how to get hot pepper into John Coe's recipe. Can I just mix hot chilis into it? Or hot red pepper flakes?</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Jim Blowers</x-tad-smaller>