[va-richmond-general] An adaptation of John Coe's recipe?

  • From: "Jim Blowers" <jimvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:08:09 -0400

I found John Coe's suet recipe on the web. Maybe it's better to make the
stuff at home than to go to the store to get it, particularly if the
store is over 10 miles away.

I am wondering how to get hot pepper in the suet. I am afraid that if I
make John Coe's recipe, then squirrels will eat it all up. Wild Birds
Unlimited told us that the squirrels will not eat hot pepper suet or
plain suet, but the birds go for it like it was crazy or something. We
tried both kinds. Squirrels gobble up the plain suet. However, they will
not eat hot pepper suet but the birds will. However, this suet is about
20 miles from us on Midlothian Turnpike. No local place sells hot pepper
suet; all they sell is what I call squirrel suet.

So I am wondering how to get hot pepper into John Coe's recipe. Can I
just mix hot chilis into it? Or hot red pepper flakes?

Jim Blowers