[va-richmond-general] American Golden Plover, Charles City Co.

  • From: Arun Bose <arunbose@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, VA Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:16:06 -0400

Hello Birders,

Chanced upon an American Golden Plover this morning at Shirley Plantation,
Charles City County. Around 9:30 am while scoping ducks it flew in to the
cut corn field in front of me. I was able to see it in flight and scope it
for a minute or two before flew off towards the rear of the impoundment.

Other shorebirds present included,
Killdeer about 25
Pectoral Sandpiper -2
Also c.40 Peep - too distant to identify.

Nice assortment of ducks.

Gadwall
American Wigeon
Northern Shoveler
Blue Winged Teal
Redhead 5 drake
Ring-necked Duck - 4
Ruddy Duck

Also Pied-billed Grebe  and American Coot.

Plenty of Sparrows including.
White-crowned - at least 9 many singing
White-throated
Swamp