[va-richmond-general] Re: Acronyms

  • From: deannamail@xxxxxxx
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 04:49:13 -0400

Al, I'm sorry you misinterpreted my email, which was meant to convey, with
levity, my hope that our list continue to be inclusive of the novice who, for
now, may just want to "enjoy birds" rather than become a "citizen scientist".
There may be multiple reasons keeping some of the list members from being "more
involved".  Some of us have demanding jobs that already consume our nights and
weekends in addition to regular work hours.  Others may be intimidated by an
atmosphere that they see as being increasingly competitive and yes, elitist.
Some might be shy about speaking up simply because they don't think they can
contribute much yet, or even because they believe they've been put down when
they tried to speak up. I'm not saying that's ever happened, but wouldn't it be
a shame if it did?  Wouldn't it also be a shame if someone missed learning from
you because they haven't yet been introduced to acronyms, or if someone changed
his or her mind about becoming an active member of RAS because they got the
wrong impression?

Please note I didn't say you were a show-off; only that someone might. Actually
I've been in RAS years longer than you; I remember when you and Linda joined.
You've both been great for the organization, and your contributions and
dedication are superb. I don't participate at your level not because of lack of
interest, but because I'm in that "demanding job" category, but I've read every
post since this list began.  Personally I hope that RAS and this list will
continue to have room for the laidback "enjoying birds" folks and the
newcomers, the shy and the easily intimidated and those who like to bird in
relative solitude, for all those who may appear to be just sitting on the
sidelines, as well as for the "citizen scientists" and those who enjoy the
social interaction of group trips and the activism.

I apologize for taking this email public. I don't want to embarrass anyone, but
I wanted to express these thoughts to the entire list. I hope there's room here
for all.