[va-richmond-general] A returning hummer

  • From: "Bob" <rsiegfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 14:49:31 -0500

Sometime near the middle of the past week, we were surprised to see our
hummer feeder slowly emptying.  We finally spotted her Thursday.  It was a
female rufous hummingbird.  Since we were so lucky to have one last year, we
were very excited to get another one this year.  The female rofous from last
winter was recaptured in the summer in Montana.

But, that was not the whole story. Today were were able to see that this
hummer has a band in its left leg!  We are pretty confident that our rufous
hummer from last winter has returned, after spending her summer in Montana.

If anyone would like to add her to your list of VA birds, please give us a
call (739-8853).  She is usually active in the morning at the feeder right
outside of the kitchen window.

bob sieGFried