[va-richmond-general] A gentle reminder

  • From: John Caroline Coe <johncaroline@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:15:31 -0400

In a week and a few days autumn will begin... and the excitement of fall
migration.  Corridors of field and forest will be alive with birds, and
our waters will again be home to wintering waterfowl or a welcome stop
for migrants.  This is a great time for birders.  It is also the time
when hunters will be afield and we, birders, need to be aware of the
season dates and acknowledge their pursuit.  And, no matter what the
season, we need to remember to respect private and public landowner's
wishes (rules) when chasing that lost Synthliboramphus antiquus, or what
ever.

I was reminded of our obligations by a recent conversation with the
manager of Shirley Plantation who had noticed birders walking out in the
farm fields, and this should not be done without permission.  He was very
reasonable and friendly, but if we mess up we could lose.  There are
other farms and woods and waters we love to bird, so let's take care so
we can always enjoy them.

Thanks,

John Coe
Chesterfield County, Virginia