[va-richmond-general] A bird in the hand.....

  • From: Ann Brooks <acdbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Richmond Audubon <VA-RICHMOND-GENERAL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 21:42:49 -0400

is NOT worth two in the bush, as it turns out.

Today I found a small warbler that had run into a store window and broken its neck. So I picked it up and took it home to see if I could figure out what it was. A half an hour and two bird guides later, I still didn't know. So much for the bird in a hand...

It was 4 1/2 inches long, ,light/pinkish legs, definite olive back and tail, brownish head and wings with grayish underfeathers, medium bright yellow throat, pale yellow undertail coverts and pale yellow/white belly somewhat darker on the sides.

No wing bars, no streaking, no eye line, no supercilium and no eye ring (eyes were closed -- would that make a difference?

ANN