[va-richmond-general] 42nd St JR Park today

  • From: "Al Warfield" <warfield101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Audubon Listserve" <va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:39:49 -0400

This morning we birded with Gerry Weinberger at 42nd St for a short time, and
activity was high there. Between 6:45 and 8:30 we saw or heard 28 species,
including the Eastern Screech Owl in its hole, a pair of Hairy Woodpeckers at
the parking lot, a probable Veery and a confirmed Gray-cheeked Thrush (by photo
and call) in the crab apple tree in the parking lot. There were also Blackpoll,
Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Yellow-throated, Black & White, and Canada Warblers,
plus Common Yellowthroat, male and female American Redstarts, and a towhee
feeding a fledgling right in the parking lot. We didn't see or hear the
Mourning Warbler, but there were some we couldn't identify. Gerry most
certainly saw or heard many others since he stayed later and ventured down on
the trail.

Al & Linda Warfield