[va-richmond-general] 1/10/10 Along the James

  • From: Lewis Barnett <lbarnett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:13:31 -0500

I walked Riverside Drive from the Huguenot Flatwater section of James River Park down to the Z Dam this morning. The only new duck was a lone Common Goldeneye, hanging with the Ring-Necked Ducks near the Huguenot Flatwater canoe ramp. I concur with Jan's earlier observation that the Ring-Necked Ducks are more numerous along this stretch. Along the trail from the Riverside Drive parking to the river, I had a couple of frustratingly brief glances at a bird that I would like to call an Orange-crowned Warbler, but I just never got a good enough look to be sure. The best looks I got were of yellowish undertail coverts. The one very brief "whole bird" view I got left me with the impression of an overall drab olive browish bird without strong facial markings. Based on its foraging behavior, I was thinking "kinglet," but the look was good enough to convince me it wasn't either of them. Anyway, keep your eyes peeled, as OC Warbler has been spotted farther downriver recently.

Good birding,

Lewis

--
Lewis Barnett