[va-bird] wood stork, Virginia Beach

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:44:37 -0500

VA Birders,

Bruce Peterjohn and I were in Virginia Beach today to band a hummingbird (turned out to be a Ruby-throated) so we headed over to First Landing State Park when we were done. We arrived at 11:30. Todd Day kindly met us there and we ran into several other birders looking for the stork but it was no where to be found. After a 2.5 hour wait, at 2:00pm the bird flew into the marsh where Karen and Tom orginally reported it and where Todd, Ned, and Bev Leeuwenburg saw it this morning. It proceeded to feed on snails sometimes coming within 15-20 feet of the road. When we left at 2:30 it was still in a wet spot close to the road and very close to the "Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints" sign. Many thanks to Karen and Tom for reporting the bird and to Todd for hanging around today to show us where they saw it.

Sue
--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University