[va-bird] question on oriole behavior

  • From: Dave Nealon <dnealon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 20:52:02 -0400

In May, both orchard orioles and Baltimore orioles were singing on territory in our yard in the Shenandoah Valley. By June 1, they had stopped singing, although we spot them every once in a while. We saw a Baltimore yesterday, in fact. I remember this pattern from last spring, too.

Therefore I was surprised the other day when we took a bike ride on the C&O Canal near Harper's Ferry: Baltimore Orioles were abundant--and in full-throated song.

Can anyone explain why our yard neighborhood orioles have gone silent?

Dave Nealon
Rockingham County