[va-bird] Re: question about birds attacking their window reflections, please

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MARLENECONDON@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:44:59 -0500

Marlene and all,

I don't think anyone mentioned Prothonotary Warbler. In April of 2005, a Prothonotary Warbler spent his days attacking his image in exterior-mounted rear view mirrors on cars in a parking area at Leesylvania State Park in Prince William County. I have a photo gallery of this bird and his antics at http://www.pbase.com/ paulasullivan/prothonotary_warbler Hope he found time to court a female! I wonder if this trait is hereditary?

Paula Sullivan
Alexandria

On Nov 19, 2006, at 3:44 PM, MARLENECONDON@xxxxxxx wrote:

I recently posted some comments about a titmouse and a male cowbird that attacked their reflections for many days at my house. I am wondering if anyone else has seen these two kinds of birds or other species (besides mockingbirds, cardinals, and the kingfisher that prompted my previous comments) exhibiting this type of behavior.

Thanks so much for your assistance.  I deeply appreciate it.
Marlene

Marlene A. Condon (Author, The Nature-Friendly Garden: Creating a Backyard Haven for Plants, Wildlife, and People)
Nature Writer/Photographer/Speaker
Crozet, VA 22932-2204
email: MARLENECONDON@xxxxxxx