[va-bird] Re: clouds of Yellow-Rumped in Metz Wetlands and Leesylvania SP

  • From: Steve Johnson <stevejohnson2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-BIRD <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:28:29 -0400

I birded Leesylvania State Park (near Metz) this morning from 8:30 to 10, and I had the exact same experience. I estimated at least 40 Yellow-Rumped Warblers in the trees beside the water across Neabsco Road from the main entrance to the park, and at least 40 more in the trees around the parking lot at the far end of the road inside the park. (Maybe that first area is part of the Metz wetlands). I was also struck by the amount of Y-R Warbler activity at all levels including foraging on the ground around the trees.

I spent a fair amount of time looking through the Yellow-Rumps in both places, and saw a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet, Trail's Flycatcher, and several other common birds for that habitat (mixed deciduous at the edge of woods), but no other warblers. In the water across Neabsco Road from the entrance were hundreds of Laughing, a few Ring-Billed, and one Herring Gull.

- Steve Johnson
stevejohnson2 (at) verizon.net
Fairfax, VA

Here are my lists for the 2 locations.

MARC RIBAUDO wrote:

Metz Wetlands this morning can be summed up easily: yellow-rumps. There must have been over 100 throughout the wetlands, from ground level to the tops of the trees. Other good birds were a flyover American pipit, 2 blue-headed vireos, 1 winter wren, 2 Lincoln's sparrows, and many ruby-crowned kinglets and white-throated sparrows. Marc Ribaudo
Woodbridge, VA