[va-bird] banded rufous hummingbird

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:04:52 -0500

VA Birders,

Today I caught another Rufous Hummingbird (the 8th so far since early November). This one is in Timberville (Rockingham County) and is an adult female. Unlike the others that I caught though, this one was already banded! I checked into it and found out that it was banded on January 4, 2006 as a second year bird in Pinckard, Alabama. That means it hatched in 2005 and has spent both of its winters in the east. As far as I know this is the first time we've had a recapture in Virginia that spent a previous winter farther south. I talked to the guy that banded it and he said this winter he had a rufous return to the same feeder in the same yard for the 6th winter in a row. Wow!

Sue
--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University