[va-bird] advice on hearing aids for birders

  • From: Wes Brown <wbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:56:03 -0400

My wife and I are avid birders who are experiencing progressive loss of our ability to hear birdsongs (e.g., we can watch a Grasshopper Sparrow sing, but can't hear the song). We would like to contact an audiologist who is also a birder, or at least familiar and sympathetic with the auditory needs of birders, so that we can be fitted with hearing aids that will amplify not only the high range of human speech, but also the higher frequencies of many birdsongs.

We would greatly appreciate advice and specific recommendations from anyone who has dealt with this problem and had success in getting it corrected. Please direct your reply to my personal email address <wbrown@xxxxxxxxx> and not to the VA-bird-freelist.

Wes Brown
Parksley VA