[va-bird] York County birding

  • From: "Elisa Enders" <elisaenders@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 15:35:08 -0500

I walked around Yorktown National Battlefield this morning. There were quite a few (about 20) COMMON LOONS under the Route 17 bridge (Coleman) to Gloucester. Also saw a imm. BALD EAGLE, COMMON GOLDENEYE, BUFFLEHEAD, and flyby SCAUP of unknown species. There weren't many other birds, but it was a rather nice day, except for the wind, in comparison to the last few days.

I also stopped by the pond in the Belmont on York residential area. This pond is located just east of the Hampton Blvd (Route 134) and Big Bethel Road in York county. The residential area is on the south side of Hampton Blvd. There have been REDHEAD reported at this location, and I was able to see 6 REDHEAD, as well as 11 RUDDY DUCKS, 6 AMERICAN COOT, 4 SCAUP (appeared to be LESSER), and >10 MALLARD.

Elisa Enders
Portsmouth, VA