[Va-bird] Yellow-headed Blackbird, Southampton Co VA - yes

  • From: Robert Ake <rake@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 16:00:28 -0500

Stimulated by Nick Flanders' reports from earlier today, I called Andrew Baldelli to see if he was interested in chasing the blackbird. He arrived at my house from Rudee Inlet in less than half an hour. We headed out and after about an hour and fifteen minutes of driving arrived at the spot where Nick had seen the birds roughly two and a half hours earlier. There were no blackbirds to be seen and there was no cell phone signal to call Nick to verify our location. We drove back into Ivor where the signal was better, but weren't able to reach Nick. We weren't able to reach a cup of coffee either since Ivor lacks even a convenience store. We reversed course and drove back to Nick's spot. This time there were blackbirds. Grackles and redwings. Thousands of them! While we were setting up our scopes, Nick called and we verified that we were in the right place. We scoped the blackbirds flying, feeding, swirling, perching in trees and more of the same. This went on for over an hour. The grackles were picking up some food items (peanuts?) and carrying them back to the trees to eat. But there was no sign of a big black bird with a bright yellow head. Then while scanning the thousands of birds in the trees for an hour and fifteen minutes from the time we began the scan, there IT was staring at me. I tightened the scope and called to Andrew who leaped over in time to see the bird before it dropped out of view. High fives and off to Windsor for a late lunch.....with coffee.

Cheers,
Bob

PS The field is along Southampton County route 616, 6 miles southwest of Ivor, just west of Berlin (nothing more than a crossroad) on the south side of the road behind a pen with a pony. Be prepared for lots of blackbirds at a considerable distance. We wouldn't have found the bird without a scope.