[va-bird] White Oaks Park, Fairfax Co., and Cameron Run, Alexandria

  • From: Paula Sullivan <paula.sullivan2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: VA-Bird <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:26:04 -0400

VA-Birders,

We were no more than 10 steps into White Oaks Park when a CANADA WARBLER appeared flitting about at eye level a few yards ahead of us. It was a very nice welcome to a park neither Paul Kane nor I had ever been in before. A Ruby-throated Hummingbird was nearby too, but otherwise it was a typically quiet August morning, except for the cicadas, of course.

Walking along the bike trail on Eisenhower Avenue in the City of Alexandria, looking for shorebirds, we saw perhaps 25 peeps scattered up and down Cameron Run. Only 2 or 3 were SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS, the rest were LEAST SANDPIPERS, and all but a couple of those were in beautiful juvenile plumage. The highlight was a single SEMIPALMATED PLOVER. A handful of GREATER YELLOWLEGS and 2 SPOTTED SANDPIPERS were present, as well, but so far this season the numbers and diversity have been disappointing.

Paula Sullivan
Alexandria