Re: [Va-bird] White-Winged Scoter at City Point in Hopewell

  • From: Barbara Houston <rinksyd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bird VA <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 18:23:26 -0500

So now I have something to add to this....

I thought the eagles were playing, but after looking through the pictures, I think they were attempting to catch that scoter. That would explain why it was acting exhausted, because the eagles were diving and playing for a good twenty minutes out there.

Here is a pic of the two eagles and the black blob in the bottom center is the scoter.
http://fynefoto.phanfare.com/6371566#imageID=207542277

I should have looked through all the pics first.

Barbara

Barbara Houston wrote:

I went down to City Point to sit and eat lunch today (in the truck) and saw a pair of bald eagles playing out on the river. I grabbed the camera and walked to the dock and watched the immature pair playing about 100 yards down river. There were plenty of cormorants flying around, all kinds of gulls, a pied bill grebe, one bufflehead, and then I spotted this blob of black about 100 yards out in the channel. I took a pic and zoomed in to see what it was and was surprised to see it was a duck/bird of some kind. It moved steadily toward me and after about ten minutes it was right up in front of me maybe ten yards away. It was a white-winged scoter. It was a gorgeous bird and seemed to be looking for a place to rest. It went up to the north end of the deck and over near the rocks and seemed content to stay there. I was on the deck right above it maybe 3-4 feet away. I got good looks at it and got some nice pictures. A true beauty of a bird and closer than I have ever been or will probably ever be again. I left it be and went on back to work. (after taking some pictures of course) i texted Shirley so she could post to Va-Bird and told her wrong, since I did not know at the time it was a White-Winged Scoter.

I swung back through there this after noon and it was not there. The tide was moving out pretty fast, still plenty of gulls and cormorants.

Pictures are at: http://fynefoto.phanfare.com/6371566#imageID=207541266

Barbara Houston
New Kent, VA

---

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection
is active.