Re: [Va-bird] Belle Haven Warbler ID

  • From: "Marc Ribaudo" <moribaudo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Michael Mayer" <michaelmayer48@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 21:21:23 -0500

Michael,
I believe your first impression was correct: yellow warbler. It is definitely not a pine. Overall yellow color, featureless face, and pale yellowish wing bars (visible in some of the pics) all fit. Great find for January.

Marc Ribaudo

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Mayer
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:40 PM
To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Va-bird] Belle Haven Warbler ID

Dear VA Birders,

This afternoon I visited the area between the Belle Haven
Marina and the stone bridge in search of the previously reported Orange-crowned
Warbler.  I found a (the?) Orange-crowned
in the same area that I found a warbler whose ID I'm not 100% certain
about.  The location was about 30 yards
or so before you get to the speedometer that is on the southbound side of the
parkway if you are walking north from the picnic area. The bird was very
active, and I probably would have missed the Orange-crowned had it not popped
into view as I was studying this one. My very first impression was Yellow Warbler
but I quickly talked myself out of it due to the season and I do suspect it is a
Pine warbler but the yellow undertail, overall lack of white underneath, and
lack of obvious wingbars have me wondering.
I took some photos before both the Orange-crowned and this one flew
across the parkway.  I moved on toward
the bridge but the bird was back in the same spot on my way back. I did not see the Orange-crowned
again. The link to my photos is below. Some are better than others but I wanted to
provide as many angles as possible.  Most
are cropped; I can provide originals if they would help. What they do not really show are the very
faint brown streaks across the breast (in a pattern similar to that of Pine or
Yellow). Also, in the field, my impression was that the eyering was a bit
whiter than what the photos show.  The
group was able to help with the ID of the Tennessee last winter so I hope you
can help with the ID of this one too.  Feel
free to let me know what you think. Will post if the general consensus is something other than Pine Warbler.

Here's the link to the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92613028@N07/sets/72157639708356025/

Michael Mayer

Vienna, VA