[va-bird] VA nighthawks-1st Real Flight

  • From: "Paul Woodward" <grackling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "night" <NITEHAWK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:01:04 -0400

22 August
Things have been pretty slow at my Common Nighthawk watchsite at Van Dyke Park, Fairfax City, VA. After my first sighting on 8-17, I had 4 nighthawks on 8-18, none on 8-19 (a rainy day), single birds on 8-20 & 8-21, and two birds this evening.
It has been a different story at the nocturnal feeding area at Tysons Corner, Fairfax Co, VA. There were 3 nighthawks on 8-18, none on 8-20, three on 8-21 and this evening there at least 60 Common Nighthawks moving between the Cable & Wireless building and Fairfax Square near route 7-quite a sight.
The question of course is why I didn't see many at my watchsite. I don't have a good answer yet.

Paul Woodward
Fairfax City, VA
grackling@xxxxxxx