[va-bird] Upland Sandpipers, Remington, Fauquier County

  • From: Susan Heath <sheath@xxxxxxx>
  • To: VA Birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 11:50:04 -0400

All,

Myself and several other birders found the 10 Upland Sandpipers easily visable at the Woodward Turf Farm this morning around 8:00am. Best viewing was from the small pullout with the chain across it along Sumerduck Road about halfway down the length of the sod farm. I heard two Dickcissels singing in the soybean field and was able to see one perched on a wire though the lighting was not good. Along Grassdale Road there were 9 American Kestrels hunting from the wire that leads north out into the field on the north side of the road. Seems too big to be a family group so I'm not sure why they were all together. I've never seen that large a group except on the eastern shore during migration.

Sue

--
Susan A. Heath
George Mason University

Secretary, Virginia Avian Records Committee
Keeper, Virginia Comp List at www.virginiabirding.org