[va-bird] Update: Northen Virginia Birding Calendar

  • From: Paul Kane <pmkane@xxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:27:55 -0400

All,

If you are not a Northern Virginia birder, to keep from being bored to tears, consider closing this mail and moving on to the next piece of mail in your mailbox. I appreciate your patience.

Calendar reminders with time sensitive dates:

Kurt Gaskill is still looking for volunteers to survey selected Fairfax County venues on May 6. Reservations required. See the May 6 Fairfax Spring Count calendar entry for additional details and contact information.

Reservations for the May 7 ASNV Twin Branches Walk should be made no later than May 4. See the May 7 ASNV Twin Branches calendar entry for additional details and contact information.

Reservations for the Birds of Western Maryland Field Trip must be made by May 30th. Payment for this trip is also due by this date. This trip is sponsored by Riverbend Park and The FCPA. See the June 8 Birds of Western Maryland calendar entry for additional details and contact information.

Calendar Enhancements & Outstanding Issues:

I have received a lot of off line mail regarding this calendar project. If you wrote with specific suggestions for calendar enhancements, I responded to you directly. I have been unable to respond to all who wrote to say something positive about this project in general. I do appreciate the kind words and encouragement though.

A few people wrote to suggest that I include addresses and driving directions to venues in calendar entries. I have done this, where possible.

Some wrote to suggest that I include web links to clubs and groups in the calendar. The calendar program I am using will not allow me to do this. But, the link to the calendar appears on the Clubs and Walks page of the Birding Northern Virginia web site. This page does include links and contact information for the NVBC, ASNV, ANS, VSO, and selected venues in the metropolitan area. Any venue posted to the calendar will eventually be listed on the Venues page of the Birding Northern Virginia web site.

One person wrote to ask that I think about adding some type of Google Maps feature to either the Birding Northern Virginia site or its calendar. This is a great idea, and I will be discussing this with others shortly. In the meantime, I have added a link to Map Quest to the Birding Northern Virginia web site.

A number of individual park venues have expressed an interest in having their own birding related events posted to the calendar. These events will be posted as I receive them.

I began testing the calendar's subscription feature this past weekend. When I am satisfied that it works properly, I will publish a set of directions for those who wish to subscribe to the calendar.

Finally, I am aware of some concern arising from the fact I have been posting certain local walks as being events that "require no prior reservations." I understand some feel that this might somehow erode club revenues by making it possible for others to attend walks without actually becoming dues paying members of a club or group.

My Birding Northern Virginia web site is an attempt to describe our birding community for people I meet when I am out birding, including people who express an interest in birding, new birders, and people who may be veteran birders but who are new to Northern Virginia. This site is not sponsored by any club, group, or enterprise. I do not belong to any of the clubs or groups discussed on my site. But, if you bird with me, you know that I am always referring people I meet to local bird clubs and groups. My site is an effort to continue and to expand this outreach effort. Among other things, the calendar is an effort to demonstrate the depth of this community because, so far as I am concerned, this community is larger than any one single club or group.

I understand that reservations are required for most club and group field trips, day trips, and for even some local bird walks. These events are posted to the calendar as events that require prior reservations. But for most generic, local, bird walks, especially those that have been advertised as being open walks, these events are in fact being posted as "reservations not required" events.

The notion that an out of town birder who happens not to belong to the correct club or group might be turned away from a local bird walk simply because he or she learned of a local walk from an online calendar is troubling. The idea that an online birding calendar is somehow going to trigger an avalanche of free loaders attending local bird walks simply because certain walks were listed on an online as calendar is equally troubling.

Frankly, I often hear a lot of talk about the precipitously low and/ or declining rates of club and group membership, along with a lot of discussion about the need to grow memberships proactively. Allow me to suggest that most strangers showing up for local walks are probably potential club members, not freeloaders looking for an opportunity to beat a local club or group out of a bird walk.

I certainly do not make club or group policy, but it seems to me that most local bird walks represent an opportunity for clubs and groups to practice a little outreach. I cannot imagine a scenario where a prospective club member would be denied the opportunity to join a local walk simply because they learned of a walk through the agency of an online calendar. And, as I have previously noted, the idea that an online calendar is going to create a climate where hordes of freeloaders are going to drive local clubs and groups into insolvency is troubling in the extreme. With this kind of thinking, it is pretty easy to see why it may be that some local clubs are having difficulty attracting new members.

Nevertheless, please contact me if any open event has been posted to the calendar incorrectly. I will be more than happy to edit the offending calendar entry so that the event will be listed as a members only event.

Constructive comments should be sent to me directly. As always, I am not looking for an opportunity to begin the thread of a larger conversation on VA Bird. I am especially interested in hearing about new ways an online calendar might be used. Find the online Northern Virginia Birding Calendar on the Clubs & Walks page at www.homepage.mac.com/pmkane. I am currently building the June and July 06 calendars.

Paul Kane
Falls Church, VA