[va-bird] Thanks birding info at VB

  • From: "Bruce Miller" <redtail565@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:39:07 -0400

Hello Virginia Birders,

Thanks everyone who responded to my plea for help in finding birding locations near Virginia Beach. The vacation turned out to be very nice. It was shortened by 2 days, so we cut out the trip to Chincoteague. I spent most my time at Lynnhaven Inlet and Back Bay. I didn’t get anything special, but at least I got out. It was hot, hot, hot. Unfortunately, the tide was always high in the mornings and low in the afternoon. There were rails calling from the high grasses at Lynnhaven, but with the water being so high, I never got a look at any of them.

This past year I started taking pictures to go along with my birding. Here is a link to some photos I took. I numbered the pictures and put “?” by a few I’m having trouble identifying. I’m just not very good at shorebirds or gulls. Please let me know if you can.
Here is a link to the birds:
http://redtail.smugmug.com/gallery/714556

I also got to take some pictures of some butterflies and a particularly friendly dragon fly. I’m even worse at identifying these, so again, if you know what they are, please tell me.
http://redtail.smugmug.com/gallery/722935

If any of you ever find yourself in Ohio, let me know, I hook you up with the hot spots!

Good Birding,
Bruce